Sunday, June 21, 2009

Te amo, Portugal

I had the most amazing time in Portugal!! I seriously wish I could have stayed there so much longer. It was a little weird not being able to communicate with anybody (except those that spoke english) since Portuguese is a little different from Spanish.
We left Sevilla on Friday morning and arrived in Lagos around 12 or so. Lagos was absolutely breathtaking. Even though it was foggy, you could see how beautiful the scenery was. The water was a beautiful greenish-blue, but extremely clear. The colors of the ocean were then contrasted by the neutral browns and tans of the huge rocks and caves protruding out of the water.
We then went to a beach in Lagos for a couple of hours. Once again, I spent most of my time swimming in the ocean. My friends (after many attempts) finally convinced me to jump off a huge rock in the middle of the ocean. It took me about 20 minutes to get up the rock (with the help of my friend John) and about another 5 or so to finally jump off of the edge. And guess what? It was so much fun! I hit the bottom of the ocean with my butt, but it was just sand so it was alright. I'm just glad that nobody decided to experiment and dive into the water.
After a few hours at the beach, we drove to our main destination, Portimao. We stayed in a really nice hotel right on the beach. The first night we were there, Sydney, Tara, and I walked around and looked at the shops until we were suckered into a nice dinner by a cute Portuguese man. We sat there for almost 3 hours just enjoying the food (sooo good!) weather (just perfect) and scenery. By midnight we decided to go home and hit the hay so we could get up early in the morning.
The next day we walked around the cute shops for a little bit and then spent the rest of the day beside the hugeee pool at our hotel. My roommates were tanning, but since my skin is super pale and got burnt the day before, I just sat under an umbrella and read a book. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to see more of the town, but I was very appreciative of the relaxation time. After tanning, we went to lunch and looked around the shops a little bit more until we had to return home.
I think I would have to say that Portugal is the second favorite place I've ever been to (it probably would have been first if we had more time to look around). My favorite place is still Capri from my trip to Europe when I was 14. But really, I think everybody should go to Portugal once in their life.
Last night we went out to a club, as it was our last Saturday in Sevilla :-(. Today I've been working on a powerpoint project on Joaquin Sorolla, but I just finished so now I have the rest of the day to relax.
I hope everybody is doing well and I look forward to seeing you all in July!

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment